Another Yellow-Blossomed Tree

>> Monday, April 5, 2010

The pictures in this post were taken in Kampong Cham Province (Cambodia :), along the national highway near the town of Chup.

I will admit (with some chagrin) that I have no idea what the name of this tree is (some possibilities are noted in the note below :).

I did not even know that there were examples in Cambodia, though I was familiar it. I first saw trees like this in Thailand, along some of its national roads.

I had also encountered it, more up close and personal, on the grounds of the wonderful ancient Khmer temples in northeastern Thailand: Prasat Hin Phimai (Nakhon Ratchasima Province) and Prasat Phnom Rung (Buri Ram Province).

But until now, never in Cambodia!

The color of the blossom is the same as that of Leung Reach, though the similarities end there. There are no long cascades of blossoms, just clusters of trumpet-shaped flowers. Can't say that specimen pictured here is very interesting, but in the pure spirit of documentation, and given that this is the first one I have seen in Cambodia, let's let it hang out a while here, until a better example presents itself.

I'll certainly keep an eye out! (Did you notice the bumblebee?)

Note: I have two possibilities.


First, this may be what one site calls the Golden Trumpet Tree. Find an amazing 360-degree picture here.


It might also be what a website from Koh Samui-Phangan calls the Yellow Bells Tree or the Yellow Trumpet Tree (labeling it the Tecoma Stans), though what grows in Kampong Cham and in Thailand is more a modest flowering tree, rather than a shrub or vine.


Need to get a close look at the leaves!

0 comments:


View My Stats

  © Free Blogger Templates Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP